Sex Is A Funny Word
A comic book for kids that includes children and families of all makeups, orientations, and gender identities, Sex Is a Funny Word is an essential resource about bodies, gender, and sexuality for children ages 8 to 12 as well as their parents and caregivers.
Much more than the “facts of life” or “the birds and the bees,” Sex Is a Funny Word opens up conversations between young people and their caregivers in a way that allows adults to convey their values and beliefs while providing information about boundaries, safety, and joy.
Sex Is a Funny Word is the first sex education book for this age group that is inclusive of lesbian, gay, and bisexual experience as well as gender creative and gender-nonconforming children. The book is also inclusive of trans and intersex bodies and lived experience.
Topics covered include:
- What is sex?
- Privacy, safety, and respect
- Boundaries regarding nudity, talking about sex, and touch
- Assigned sex, gender identity, and gender roles
- Names and functions of body parts
- Talking about the word “sexy”
- Protecting yourself against unwanted sexual touch and abuse
- Crushes, love, and sexy feelings